Monday, July 21, 2014

Agent Interview-Suzie Townsend of New Leaf Literary

Hey guys, we have another awesome agent interview today from the amazing Suzie Townsend of New Leaf Literary! If you plan on querying Suzie, please note her submission guidelines carefully. And yes, I forgive her for her answer to #7.








1.) What are you tired of seeing in your slush pile, and what would you like to see more of?


Dystopian and YA sci-fi. There's just so much of it out there and nothing feels new and different. I'd really love something with an epic blow-me-away kind of love story and magical realism.


2.) What is your pet peeve in a query, besides getting a query for something you don't represent?


My biggest pet peeve is probably when writers start their query with a question (ie "What would you do if you were told you had one day left to live?" or something). It reminds me of when I taught my freshmen how to write their first literary analysis. They often tried to start their papers with a rhetorical question. I didn't like it then. It feels immature and gimmicky.


3.) What makes a manuscript/query stand out to you?


Voice and character. The truth is: I will follow a character that I love anywhere. If I love a character I'll be up to fix plot holes and worldbuilding issues and whatever else. It's the character who's going to make me lie awake at night and wonder what they're going to do next. When I was a kid, I used to imagine myself as a character in my favorite books. That's what I want: a manuscript that's going to make me tempted to write fan fiction so I can be a part of that world. My favorite queries are always the ones where the character already feels alive.




4.) Do you have any advice for aspiring writers who are trying to hook an agent?


Do your research and be polite and professional. Then let your manuscript speak for itself.




Lightning Round:




5.) One word that describes you the most:


Passionate




6.) One word you hope your authors describe you as:


Awesome




7.) One word that describes how you feel about Sasquatch:


Meh




8.) One word that describes how you feel about fan-girling:


Sa-woon


 Thanks again, Suzie, for taking the time to give us these great insights into the publishing industry!

7 comments:

  1. I love this agency! They all have really impressive client lists. It's kind of intimidating. :)

    ReplyDelete

  2. Take responsibility for failures. Ganga Music If a customer complains about a delay, don't shift the blame onto one of your employees. It looks unprofessional. As the boss, you shoulder all the responsibility of making sure your business is functioning as smoothly and as efficiently as it should. Any failures fall to you.Ganga Bhakti

    ReplyDelete
  3. @leadsupplier Telegram
    752822040 ICQ

    SMTP's
    RDP's
    C-panels
    Shells
    VPN's
    Brutes
    Kali Linux Complete Package
    D**p/D**k Web Complete Course with Valid Onion Links
    BTC Cracker
    FB/WA Hacking, Spying Tuts
    SQLI Injector
    Key Logger
    Combos
    Premium Account Logs

    All Stuff will be given genuine & Verified
    Tools Will be Freshly spammed
    Invalid stuff will be replaced
    Hacking Tools & Tuts
    Spamming Tutorials with all tools
    Carding Methods , Cash outs , Spamming Stuff

    All Stuff is available in very low price
    Just Hit me Up::

    @killhacks Telegram
    752822040 ICQ

    Fresh spammed Fullz/Leads/Pros in Bulk Quantity
    SSN DOB
    SSN DOB DL with Employee & Banks Account Details
    High Credit Scores Fullz
    CC Fullz with SSN Info
    Dumps With Pin Codes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am beginner to blogs and I enjoyed you’re web page. Want to bookmark this site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really appreciate this blog, It means a lot for me,, Very interesting

    ReplyDelete
  6. This article give me a lot of inspiration. thank you for letting me see this info

    ReplyDelete
  7. I appreciate this blog of yours. Post more good contents please, Thank you

    ReplyDelete